Sunday, January 23, 2011

Triggers

So, I guess I should have seen this coming. But really, I didn't. The immediate area I live in is pretty small. The funeral home where the boys' funeral was and where they were cremated is right next to our church. Do you see where this is going?

We just started attending this church, it's been about a month...maybe a little longer. We absolutely love it. Well, this morning, Shawn and I are sitting there and who do I see two rows in front of us? The funeral director. He was so amazing to Shawn and I. I can not even put into words how awesome this guy was. So kind and thoughtful and he helped us out tremendously. I started to cry. Seeing him just brought back all the memories of being in the funeral home and making all those decisions. We had said our goodbyes to the boys when we left the hospital but we got too see them one more time at the funeral home. Brian (funeral director) was with us.

All those emotions, they came crashing down on me. Shawn asked if I wanted to say hi, but I told him no. I knew I would not be able to hold back the tears (I had just got them to stop!) Plus he was with his wife and I didn't want to bother him. I don't think he truly understands how much we appreciated what he did for us. I know he was just doing his job but really, he went above and beyond.

Usually, I know what my triggers are and if I can't avoid them, I can at least try to prepare for them. This...this came out of left field. Totally caught me off guard.

That reminds me. The Fire Department is literally right behind my house. When my water broke with the boys, Shawn had called 911 and they sent an ambulance. The EMT's were absolutely wonderful (again, probably just doing their job but they really went above and beyond) After they brought me to the hospital, instead of leaving (like they usually do) They stayed. Two in the room with me, holding my hands and rubbing my back. The woman kept telling me she was so sorry for what was happening. Two of the guys took Shawn out into hall to calm him down. God bless those people. Well, not even a week later Shawn and I had to run into the store to grab a few things. A few of the EMT's from that night were walking out as we were walking in. They smiled, you know, the sad smile. I looked at Shawn and we turned around to find them, we wanted to thank them for all they did, but they were already in their truck and leaving.

This area is small. I need to prepare myself for this sort of thing happening.

5 comments:

  1. Our funeral director's name was Brian too. I haven't seen him since the funeral but I pass by the funeral home every day going to work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry and I have had a lot this past week. Makes things tough. Praying for you & thanx for the blog award. Going to do my post soon just been so busy. Keeping you close to my heart.
    {{{HUGS}}}

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trena I feel for you so much. I do not know why but this has brought huge tears to my eyes. It is the little things that people have done for us when things were so hard that stick out so much. Thank God for people like them.

    Side note your funeral guy and mine are both named Brian. Good people have that name....LOL I married one of those good people.

    We will get through this. Praying for you!

    Love you,

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am very sorry for your loss, Being a parent myself I can not imagine how hard it must have been & still is,You are very strong for being able to get through this in one piece & everyone you have come in contact with sounds like amazing people you live in a great little area.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your blog brings tears to my eyes, I am so sorry to hear about your boys. I love how you share your heart and thoughts with us through it all. I will be keeping you and your family in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete